Register  | Login
  Search

Buckmasters Forums

Sights
Last Post 16 May 2008 07:07 AM by grimreaper. 6 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
S.C._DoubleLunger
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
12 May 2008 07:30 PM  
Im looking to rebuild my bow, new string, sts system, sights, rest, arrows, quiver....was wondering what you guys were using for your bowsight and what your opinion and satisfaction was of these products and recommendation would be...
ks_hunter
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
13 May 2008 11:42 PM  
copper john dead nuts

i wont buy anything else there a good sturdy all metal (except the fiber optic pin) sight
rnwinter
6 Point
6 Point

--
14 May 2008 02:10 AM  
2-chucks is probably one of the best and most knowledgeable about bow hunting and such. I'd send him a personal email and see if he can offer you some advise. I'd be pretty specific about what your wanting to do, both specifially and over all, and give as much detail as you can. Hope this helps.
Tom Sinnott
6 Point
6 Point

--
15 May 2008 03:30 PM  
There are a lot of good sights out there so I wouldn't say you have to buy one brand. It mainly depends on what you are expecting out of your bow and how far and how accurate you plan on being. A lot of people don't like a sight with more than 5 pins but I shoot a 7 pin Toxonics. Not the cheapest but at $140 it's cheaper than several other options, I just like tinkering in the back yard with really long shots so I like the extra pins. (it irritates my hunting buddies too that I have a 70 yard pin, they gripe about it all the time even though I would never use it in the woods... hahaha)
You just need to be careful because many companies like Tru-Glo (they also own Apex) have really dropped their quality to pay for a lot of ad campaigns I guess... You can look through a pile of them at the bow shop and always find at least one that is still in the box that is already broken.
I recommend .019 pins instead of the .030 just because you can still see them just fine and it gives you more pin-point accuracy.
You will also want to find one that has a sturdy guard surrounding the pins. Metal is best but thick plastic is good too. Some just have a thin plastic ring around it and one bump against a treestand and it's toast.
I really like the newer ones that have the micro-adjustments on them. Too much time and heartache is wasted loosening a pin and sliding it just a hair to find out you moved it too far and trying to move it "half of a hair" back. With the micro-adjustments you just loosen a nut and turn a little dial a click or two. It made me a lot better shot.
I also would stay away from the pendulum sights. It makes sense that they would be a neat little gadget but a good wind will throw them off and if you can't adjust where you aim because you are up in a tree instead of shotting level in your backyard then you shouldn't be in the tree. That's why you practice from a elevate deck or stand.
Also you should lean towards one with a level built in it. You will be surprised how far off being tilted a couple of degrees will make you. It also makes you inconsistant and you end up shooting to the left or right depending on which way you lean. I didn't know I leaned mine slightly to the left until I bought that Toxonics. Once you shoot level for a while you will not even have to look at it and you will be dead on out of habit.

If I had to choose 2 brands though I would say either Toxonics or Spot-Hogg... But they can get pricey... So it all comes back to what you are expecting out of your bow this fall...
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Benjamin Franklin
Tom Sinnott
6 Point
6 Point

--
15 May 2008 08:42 PM  
Sorry for being so long winded... :) I was bored at work since it's rained here for 2 days there isn't much going on...
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Benjamin Franklin
S.C._DoubleLunger
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
15 May 2008 11:21 PM  
not a problem...thanks for the info
grimreaper
6 Point
6 Point

--
16 May 2008 07:07 AM  
I am using a HHA XL 5519 and I am really liking it so far. Rest wise I was using a Trophy Ridge Drop Zone but I am now using a Limbdriver. Both are great rests but I think the Limbdriver works a little better with binary cams. Arrow wise I am now using Carbon Express Maxima Hunters. They seem to be a little more durable than my Gold Tip Pros were and, to me, the fletchings are easier to remove on the Maxima's. I use mechanical broadheads and the Vista quiver works great for them.
Only the dead have seen the end of war. Plato
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! Join Buckmasters Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!