Register  | Login
  Search

Buckmasters Forums

PROTECTION
Last Post 19 May 2008 11:24 PM by rnwinter. 9 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
WISC.HUNTER
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
03 Apr 2008 09:42 PM  
i live in wisconsin and have just begun to focus on bowhunting.  I am positive it is illegal to carry a sidearm/pistol while bowhunting.  I am curious why this is.  I believe other states do allow you to carry a sidearm for protection while bow-hunting.  It seems to me that if someone wants to poach a deer they can find a better way than with a 9mm at 40 yards and if someone is bowhunting they will not use a gun to kill the deer otherwise they wouldn't be bowhunting, they would just try to illegally shoot a deer.  It would seem that the positives would out-wiegh the negatives in this case but maybe i don't see everything.  Please add your thoughts and opinions and also anyone that knows what states this is allowed. thanks....
Luke
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
04 Apr 2008 12:39 AM  
Hey I just have one question why do you need a protection gun in wis. i know we have bears and wolfs but were do you hunt?  
Tom Sinnott
6 Point
6 Point

--
04 Apr 2008 01:00 AM  
I am not positive but I think last year was the first year in Indiana that you could... I have a close friend that was treed by coyotes 3 years ago and had to call his dad to come down to the river bottoms on their farm and shoot one with a rifle to run them off. 4 arrows and yelling wasn't enough to deter them. It's obviously a rare event but I'm sure it happens more often than someone getting in an actual shoot out so you should be able to. It's not so much even about the what-ifs but its a right and the more restrictions we put on it the more our rights will get whittled away!
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Benjamin Franklin
Tom Sinnott
6 Point
6 Point

--
04 Apr 2008 01:01 AM  
Plus if it's legal to carry them into Wal-mart then it shouldSHOULD be legal to carry them out in the middle of nowhere...
Conner Spohn
6 Point
6 Point

--
15 Apr 2008 09:41 PM  

I can see no good reason to carry a firearm while bowhunting, other then to help the anti's with more propagana.

kmehaffey
6 Point
6 Point

--
16 Apr 2008 12:48 PM  
Posted By overhill on 04/15/2008 3:41 PM

I can see no good reason to carry a firearm while bowhunting, other then to help the anti's with more propagana.

I can see that you have never encountered any Two Legged Vermin while hunting. There are some Questionable people out there in the hunting world, and being able to carry a side arm during Archery season ,should be an option for all of us. After all the Second Amendment gives you and I the right to protect ourselves. The ANTI's will create their own Propaganda, that is what they do !

Tom Sinnott
6 Point
6 Point

--
16 Apr 2008 02:16 PM  
Totally agree! Even if you believe that it is not needed if you have a bow already that ok. I just feel strongly that it should be at your discretion as an American citizen. After all with all the hoops you have to jump through to get a handgun permit these days. It's very rarely that you have someone with a gun permit causing a problem, it's the ones exchanging hands on the street.
grimreaper
6 Point
6 Point

--
23 Apr 2008 06:38 AM  
I am not sure why we are not allowed to carry a sidearm in Wisconsin. I myself probably wouldn't do it as it is just a few more pounds for me to carry into the woods but I feel it should be up to the hunter if they want to or not.
Only the dead have seen the end of war. Plato
ontarioben
6 Point
6 Point

--
03 May 2008 02:52 AM  
I don`t see the point of packing heat while archery hunting, if you can`t get the job done with your weapon of choice then you probably shouldn`t be out there in the first place.
rnwinter
6 Point
6 Point

--
19 May 2008 11:24 PM  
Texas does not allow a side arm unless the carrier also has a Consealed Carry License. I happen to be the bearer of one, but the law does not give me any rights to use it except for fear of my life, or in protection of another's. Other than that, unless its a shotgun, or black powder, there are no legal firearms allowed during archery season. On a personal note, I don't mind carrying my pistol....obviously, or I wouldn't have gotten a license...but I have sat a ground blind plenty of times and had feral pigs all around me....even been charged once...which wasn't fun. Lickily I didn't have to shoot cause she veered at the last second. But I would never have gotten a shot with my bow to stop her before she got me....so in that case, I was glad to have been armed. Be that as it may, I think folks that disagree with carrying a pistol have a valid point. But I have to wonder and weigh in a guy carrying a shotgun with three slug rounds in it, or a high powered black powder. I don't plan on shooting a deer with my pistol....after all, I came out to bow hunt...but I don't feel too bad about carrying it. Just my opinion.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! Join Buckmasters Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!