Register  | Login
  Search
Buckmasters Forums
Bow Trouble
Last Post 10 Aug 2007 02:43 PM by BigRon. 15 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
PGHHunter
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
20 Jul 2007 09:51 PM  
I got a bow from a friend about 4 years ago. It is a Jennings Buckmaster. I have killed only 2 deer with it and both of them were hit left of where I aimed, Luckily I got them. I have missed more deer then I can count. Every time I practice I have a grouping about the size of the of a paper plate. My problem is every time I shoot at a deer either at ten yards or at thirty yards the arrow seems to fly awkward and hit to the left of where I was aiming. I have the sites adjusted to the left witch would pull my shot to the right and I still hit to the left or inconsistently. I looked at a few of my friends bows and there strings line up with there sites mine are off to the left. They look like this.
Does this mean that my rest needs moved over or that the bow needs tuned or what. Any info is a great help
YOU GOTTA WANT IT!!!!!
George, Pennsylvania
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Rilla
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
20 Jul 2007 10:57 PM  
i would tune it first. check for arrow clearance when leaving the rest. also check the tiller(means distance from bow limb right above the riser to the string)
if you shoot a release the tiller should be the same, if fingers it should be about 1/4" difference. something else caught my eye, look at the rest and string,
see how the string is center of your cf-tm hunter rest !!! your pins should be even with the string( in-line )..looks like there to far out...

A easy tip to remember...when sighting in your bow always move your pins towards your mistake: meaning if you hit left of bullseye move pin to left...
next i would paper tune the bow, shoot thru paper to see what your arrow is doing...might be off somewhat, until this is done you can't tell if
something is out of wack...

just a lil helpful tips....let me know if you find something.....Rilla
7MM Rem. Mag. reach out and touch something!!
PGHHunter
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
20 Jul 2007 11:50 PM  
Posted By Rilla on 07/20/2007 4:57 PM
i would tune it first. check for arrow clearance when leaving the rest. also check the tiller(means distance from bow limb right above the riser to the string)
if you shoot a release the tiller should be the same, if fingers it should be about 1/4" difference. something else caught my eye, look at the rest and string,
see how the string is center of your cf-tm hunter rest !!! your pins should be even with the string( in-line )..looks like there to far out...

A easy tip to remember...when sighting in your bow always move your pins towards your mistake: meaning if you hit left of bullseye move pin to left...
next i would paper tune the bow, shoot thru paper to see what your arrow is doing...might be off somewhat, until this is done you can't tell if
something is out of wack...

just a lil helpful tips....let me know if you find something.....Rilla

Thanks rilla, I noticed how far my pins were to the left and I still am hitting the target left. Thats why I think maybe my rest needs ajusted. I am thinking about getting a new bow but if this is a easy fix I might keep this one. The bow shop I go to is up by my camp and I don't have time to go there until the middle of august. I was hoping I could fix it myself but I guess not...........................................................Sorry about the big pics I forgot to resize them.
YOU GOTTA WANT IT!!!!!
George, Pennsylvania
hoody06
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
21 Jul 2007 10:26 PM  
gotta agree with rila, had the same problem so i took it to the shop and problem solved, my rest was off by 1/2" and my fletches were hitting.
thwack is the only sound i want to hear from sept to feb!!!
Rilla
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
23 Jul 2007 03:29 PM  
yep i would check to make sure the rest is shooting center. Make sure your string is center of rest(may need to get a center shot tool from bass pro or cabelas)
cause if your arrow does not come off the rest center it will defect!!! rest may be to far out from the bow or in to far. Another thing make sure your vanes or
feathers are not hitting the bottom of the bow riser!!! and check for clearance between the fingers of the rest(cf-tm rest) your vane or feathers may be hitting
one side of the rest throwing it off....

hope we are helping you out?? Rilla
RobertM
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
23 Jul 2007 05:14 PM  

PGHHunter, a few questions for you:

What's your draw weight?

What kind of arrows are you shooting?

What is the point weight?

How long is your arrows?

Q2hunter
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
23 Jul 2007 08:02 PM  
The pins being a bit left of center, actually is very common for a right handed shooter. I can count on ONE FINGER how many I know personally that they line up perfectly, everyone
else I know is off to the left about as much as yours. One thing I have found is that many archery hunters have the same struggles you mentioned when hunting, and more often than not
it is where they are not accustomed to shooting with hunting cloths on. This can make a huge difference. The only shooting I do in the summer is late in the afternoon after it has cooled down,
I always shoot in a long sleeve shirt and a light jacket. As fall nears, and it cools even more, I will practice with more and more layers on to simulate hunting. Many times, it is a draw length that is too
long. A draw length that feels good in a tee shirt may be 1/2 or even an inch too long with hunting layers on and can cause one of two things, if not both. It can cause your string to hit your
sleeves, and/or it can cause you to change your form and torque your bow, which in your case is what I would suspect. If it were hitting your sleeve, you would probably know it. I would recommend
practicing with some hunting gear on, and practicing out of a tree stand if you hunt from one. As mentioned above, you always need to have your bow in tune, but from the sound of your problem, you
are not having any problems while target shooting, only while hunting, which would lead me to believe that something is changing with you, not the bow. JMHO!
You can run, but your gonna leave a blood trail!
PGHHunter
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
23 Jul 2007 09:07 PM  
Posted By RobertM on 07/23/2007 11:14 AM

PGHHunter, a few questions for you:

What's your draw weight?

What kind of arrows are you shooting?

What is the point weight?

How long is your arrows?

I don't know my draw wait I got the bow from a friend and had it restrung and that was the only time I was at a bow shop.

I am shooting gold tip 5575 carbon arrows

100 grain

arrows are 30 inches including knock but not tip

I appreciate the help from everyoone but it seems that I have to go to a shop and have a pro take care of it for me. While I'm there I might just pick up a new drenalin because its a lot better of a bow and the proshop will set me up with everything I need.
YOU GOTTA WANT IT!!!!!
George, Pennsylvania
Phoenix
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
24 Jul 2007 01:31 PM  
hey george, you wan to get together sometime and i'll take a look at it. i have access to a bow press if needed, but i shouldn't. i can get you center shot, paper tuned and then broadhead tuned in a couple hours. let me know.
To Hunt or Not to Hunt, that is the question? While your pondering that, i'll be in the woods. My Values are the Army Values; Loyalty, Duty, Respect, Selfless Service, Honor, Integrity, Personal Courage.
Pfc. Chris Smith
bwlacy
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
27 Jul 2007 09:53 PM  

There are a few things that you can check without going to the shop.

Make sure that your fletching isn't hitting anything.  It can't hit the rest, cables, riser or anything.

Make sure that your spring tension on your rest isn't too stiff.  It only needs to be enough to hold the arrow up.

Have someone who knows how check you draw length, it may be too long, which will cause you some form problems and cause you to tork the bow.

Then paper tune the rest, and nock point.  This is really pretty easy to do.  Put a piece of newspaper over some sort of frame, put that in front of you target.  Stand a few feet back from the paper and shoot an arrow thru the paper.  The hole should look like a bullet hole with three tears from the fletching.  If it does not then you adjust your rest or nock point to correct the problem.  Easton has a tuning guied that you can download on there website that may really help you.

Once you have a good paper tune, then shoot field points and sight in.  See how your groups are, then try broadheads, and tweek the rest or nock point to tune your broadheads hit the same as your field points.

If your groups at ten yards are the size of a paper plate that is not good.  You may need to have someone coach you on your shooting form also.  

Buying a new bow isn't going to fix shooting problems, or form.

These are easy things to fix for a lot less money.  

If you need more info on tuning just ask, I'll try and answer any questions that you have.

Matt

grimreaper
6 Point
6 Point

--
30 Jul 2007 01:31 AM  
Posted By Q2hunter on 07/23/2007 2:02 PM
The pins being a bit left of center, actually is very common for a right handed shooter. I can count on ONE FINGER how many I know personally that they line up perfectly, everyone
else I know is off to the left about as much as yours. One thing I have found is that many archery hunters have the same struggles you mentioned when hunting, and more often than not
it is where they are not accustomed to shooting with hunting cloths on. This can make a huge difference. The only shooting I do in the summer is late in the afternoon after it has cooled down,
I always shoot in a long sleeve shirt and a light jacket. As fall nears, and it cools even more, I will practice with more and more layers on to simulate hunting. Many times, it is a draw length that is too
long. A draw length that feels good in a tee shirt may be 1/2 or even an inch too long with hunting layers on and can cause one of two things, if not both. It can cause your string to hit your
sleeves, and/or it can cause you to change your form and torque your bow, which in your case is what I would suspect. If it were hitting your sleeve, you would probably know it. I would recommend
practicing with some hunting gear on, and practicing out of a tree stand if you hunt from one. As mentioned above, you always need to have your bow in tune, but from the sound of your problem, you
are not having any problems while target shooting, only while hunting, which would lead me to believe that something is changing with you, not the bow. JMHO! 

I would have to agree with Q2.  If it shot to the left when you were both target practicing and hunting then I would think it would be tuning but you say the bow groups ok target shooting.  As far as your sight pins being a little left mine are too.

Only the dead have seen the end of war. Plato
Rilla
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
01 Aug 2007 06:16 PM  
wrong grimreaper!!!

If you shoot a release like in the picture posted, pins will line up with the string... If you shoot fingers then the pins may be out a little!!

but we can argue back an fourth, but.... it's up to the shooter on how he gets to hit the bullseye!!!
PGHHunter
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
06 Aug 2007 03:43 PM  
Hey guys thanks for the info but I decided that I am going to buy a Mathews Drenalin in 2 weeks. I talk to the bow shop guy and he is going to help me with everything I need on the new bow and help fix my old one so I can sell it.
I really appreciate the help though.
YOU GOTTA WANT IT!!!!!
George, Pennsylvania
Vandy
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
06 Aug 2007 04:32 PM  
I woudl check your fletching clearance and make sure you have the proper arrows. Also when you do your range shooting is it with field tips only and not your hunting broadheads? If the arrows are okay, and the fletching is fine try to paper tune it like the others have said.
Q2hunter
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
09 Aug 2007 09:08 PM  
Posted By Rilla on 08/01/2007 12:16 PM
wrong grimreaper!!!

If you shoot a release like in the picture posted, pins will line up with the string... If you shoot fingers then the pins may be out a little!!

but we can argue back an fourth, but.... it's up to the shooter on how he gets to hit the bullseye!!!

No Rilla, its not wrong, nor is it right!  Just because you shoot with a release doesnt mean that your pins will line up with the string.  I have looked at a lot of right handed shooters bows, most of them have the sights slightly left of the string, very few are lined up perfectly, and I have not yet seen one that is right of the string.  I'm saying that is not wrong, nor is it right, because it doesnt matter where they are if your arrow is going where it is supposed to.  I only suggested that he not worry about pin alignment if he is hitting where he is aiming.  As to an answer to why they often are left of string, I'm not sure.  My guess would probably be center shot placement.  Not all bow/arrow combos tune at the factory spec center shot placement.  My drenaline called for a factory spec center shot of 13/16 from the burger button to the center of the arrow, but made a clear statement that it was only the suggested starting point.  Carbon Express CX300's papertuned at exactly the 13/16 while the Beaman ICS papertuned closer to 7/8.  My pins are closer aligned to my string with the Carbon Express than are with the Beaman's, but there were ZERO accuracy differences. 

You can run, but your gonna leave a blood trail!
Ronnie
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
10 Aug 2007 02:43 PM  
I know you pretty much have the issue solved with the purchase of a new bow.. but looking at the pics, I keep telling myself that the rest does not look right. Look at the 2 pins sticking up from the rest. They just look like they are off. May just be the way the pictures are taken though.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Pay Your Bill Online Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! LinkedIn Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!