Register  | Login
  Search
Buckmasters Forums
FPS
Last Post 15 Aug 2007 07:57 PM by T-BONE. 34 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
ks_hunter
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
20 Jul 2007 05:37 PM  
whats every body shooting speed acual tested not ibo numbers just wondering 

Brian 
rackaholic1989
6 Point
6 Point

--
20 Jul 2007 06:10 PM  
i got the hoyt mt sport and i shoot bout 245 fps with aluminum arrows
If Its Brown It's Down!
Phoenix
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
20 Jul 2007 07:55 PM  
KS hunter, speed should not be on the top of your list for hunting performance. you may get high speed by shooting a light arrow, but with that you sacrifice penetration. i shoot a nice heavy Aluminum arrow that is still going 268 FPS that has enough energy behind it to punch through shoulders if necessary. a light fast arrow will not have enough KE to do that.

my setup is a Hoyt Razortec, 28.5" XX78 2315 arrows with a 100 grain Muzzy @268 FPS
To Hunt or Not to Hunt, that is the question? While your pondering that, i'll be in the woods. My Values are the Army Values; Loyalty, Duty, Respect, Selfless Service, Honor, Integrity, Personal Courage.
Pfc. Chris Smith
grimreaper
6 Point
6 Point

--
20 Jul 2007 08:54 PM  
I shoot 273 fps out of my 05' Switchback. My total arrow wt is 393 gr., draw wt is 70# and draw lenght is 29". I have a peep with string loop and 1 knock point. The set-up gives me 65 ft/lbs kinetic energy.
Only the dead have seen the end of war. Plato
emmac13
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
20 Jul 2007 10:07 PM  
I shoot a PSE Excursion 28.5" draw length at 64#.  The arrow is Carbon Express HE350 with 100 grns head  at 470grns total weight  and will fly 233fps.  I hope to go lighter probably around 400 grns for the season.
buck
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
21 Jul 2007 12:55 AM  
Anyone see the new PSE 348 fps or something thats crazy the way they designed the limbs was pretty smart....but who needs that fast of a bow...lol
wrenchman30
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
21 Jul 2007 08:44 AM  
if you want more fps only two ways to get it higher poundage and lower let off.
ks_hunter
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
21 Jul 2007 01:09 PM  
phoenix
i was just wondering what the average from every one cause i have a old bow and get 210 out of it
hoody06
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
21 Jul 2007 10:17 PM  
i have to disagree, to a point, with phoenix. energy is top but speed is a good key to that energy.
i shoot hoyt trykon xl 70lbs 28" draw 75% let off, 26" beman ics 340 with 100grain muzzy 4 blade or grimreaper 100grain and with that set up i got 310 fps.
at 70 yards i have 12 to 18 inch penetration on my block 4x4.
even went threw both shoulder blades on a doe at 57 yards and out the other side.
NEVER GOING TO CHANGE MY SET UP!!!
thwack is the only sound i want to hear from sept to feb!!!
Phoenix
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
22 Jul 2007 03:53 AM  
hoody, your probably setup with a 5 grain per pound arrow am i right? your total arrow weight is around 350 grains that translates into IBO Minumum arrow weight of 5 grains per pound. i have to disagree with you on the fact of you going through both shoulders at 57 yards with setup you have described. i might agree on a possible pass through without going through bone, but after years of extensive tests conducted at the archery shops i've worked at i have yet to see a setup punch through even one shoulder at that distance. tests were done at ranges from 5 feet out to 60 yards on controlled setups with arrows weighing in from 4 grains per pound(not recommended) to heavy fiberglass fishing arrows weighing in at 12 grains per inch. for best penetration we found that an arrow weighing in at 6.5 to 7 grains per inch provided the best penetration over the widest range of tests with a wide varity of broadheads.
To Hunt or Not to Hunt, that is the question? While your pondering that, i'll be in the woods. My Values are the Army Values; Loyalty, Duty, Respect, Selfless Service, Honor, Integrity, Personal Courage.
Pfc. Chris Smith
Phoenix
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
23 Jul 2007 06:23 PM  
edit, fishing arrows were supposed to be 12 grains per pound, not per inch, my fingers were moving faster than i could think
Pfc. Chris Smith
Phoenix
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
23 Jul 2007 06:25 PM  
edit,edit, 6.5-7 grains per inch should be 6.5-7 graind per pound.
Pfc. Chris Smith
Q2hunter
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
23 Jul 2007 07:46 PM  
Posted By Phoenix on 07/21/2007 9:53 PM
hoody, your probably setup with a 5 grain per pound arrow am i right? your total arrow weight is around 350 grains that translates into IBO Minumum arrow weight of 5 grains per pound. i have to disagree with you on the fact of you going through both shoulders at 57 yards with setup you have described. i might agree on a possible pass through without going through bone, but after years of extensive tests conducted at the archery shops i've worked at i have yet to see a setup punch through even one shoulder at that distance. tests were done at ranges from 5 feet out to 60 yards on controlled setups with arrows weighing in from 4 grains per pound(not recommended) to heavy fiberglass fishing arrows weighing in at 12 grains per inch. for best penetration we found that an arrow weighing in at 6.5 to 7 grains per inch provided the best penetration over the widest range of tests with a wide varity of broadheads.

Where'd ya git all them deer shoulders to do all them there testises?

You can run, but your gonna leave a blood trail!
Phoenix
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
23 Jul 2007 08:25 PM  
tow of the local game wardens were good customers of ours and would bring by roadkill that wouldn't be fit for consumption
Pfc. Chris Smith
Timbertall
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
24 Jul 2007 12:18 AM  
Posted By Phoenix on 07/23/2007 2:25 PM
tow of the local game wardens were good customers of ours and would bring by roadkill that wouldn't be fit for consumption

lol. He actually had an explanation as to where all the shoulders came from? Cool

tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
24 Jul 2007 12:21 AM  
I would rather have accuracy that have a bow that was super fast.I have no idea what my bow shoots,but it's fast enough.
Tubby
The God of My Rock;He Is My Sheild;And The Horn Of My Salvation 2 Samuuel,Ch 22
rackaholic1989
6 Point
6 Point

--
24 Jul 2007 03:58 AM  
very true i would rather have an arrow that flys accurately and hits what i am aiming for than an arrow that flys really fast and cant hit anything but trees
If Its Brown It's Down!
Timbertall
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
24 Jul 2007 04:44 PM  
But what if you can have both?
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
24 Jul 2007 07:35 PM  

I don't have good enough form to shoot any faster,I can shoot fairly well.I can put 4 out of 5 arrows in the boiler room almost every time.
If some people want speed,that's fine,it's all in what you prefer.

Tubby
The God of My Rock;He Is My Sheild;And The Horn Of My Salvation 2 Samuuel,Ch 22
Vandy
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
25 Jul 2007 02:40 AM  
My 6 year old browning tornado is shooting right at 230. 65#, 28 1/2" draw, aluminum arrows, 100 grain muzzy's
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>

Active Forums 4.2
Pay Your Bill Online Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! LinkedIn Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!