Register  | Login
  Search

Buckmasters Forums

rage broadheads
Last Post 01 Aug 2011 02:44 PM by pinetree. 48 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 3123 > >>
Author Messages
warren
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
14 Oct 2007 12:07 AM  
I will never again use these broadheads. I shot a doe thursday night only found 2 little drops of blood and know i put a good hit on the deer. I could see the arrow sticking out of her as she ran off. The shot was a 10 yards and put it behind her shoulder high on the deer about 3 inches away from her spine. The stand is about 20 feet off the ground which the arrow should of caught one lung atleast. Looked for her for about 2 hrs that night after giving her 2hrs of rest before we went out to track her. Was Talking to a buddy who shot a doe with rages and same thing happen to him. He said he shot a yote and the arrow didnt even blow threw it either. The buddy that was with my friend said he made a bad shot on a doe with rages in the guts and it didnt blow threw his deer either. I shoot a mathews outback xt . Well after i heard this i decided to give them another shot so i went out friday night and had another doe walk in at 8 yards i put the pin behind her shoulder and shot. I almost threw my bow when i seen the arrow sticking out of her as she ran away. Gave her 3 hrs of rest and walked to where i shot her. Same thing didnt find a drop of blood. Luckly i could just follow the leaves and ground she kicked up. Found her 80 yards away and not a drop of blood on the ground. I am going back to Muzzy or montec G5s.. All my friends that have looked at my deer and the shots from video cant belive that the arrows didnt do more damage. Just wanted to post my results on here to give out alittle warning for those Rage users.
grimreaper
6 Point
6 Point

--
14 Oct 2007 06:09 AM  
Sorry about your luck with the Rages. Were you shooting the 2 or 3 blade ones? I have only killed 2 deer with them and they both were today. The first was shot with the 2 blade at 36 yds broadside shooting a 393 grain arrow at 273 FPS. It was a complete pass through with great entry and exit holes. The deer ran 30 yds. The other that I shot was at around 20 yds broadside except with the 3 blade design. It was also a complete pass through and ran about 50 yds. Both were heart shots with great blood trails. Neither deer was huge but were both midsized Wisconsin does. Muzzy and Montecs are two great fixed heads and if I ever start having trouble with the Rages I will probably go back to one of them.
Only the dead have seen the end of war. Plato
AndyC
6 Point
6 Point

--
15 Oct 2007 06:42 PM  
Just started using these broadheads (2-blade) and have shot one small button buck deer with them...see result below.  My results were pretty devastating but I did put my shot in breadbasket.  You are going to get poor penetration any time you hit a deer in the spine...I have butchered a couple deer that have broadheads wedged in between their vertibrea from previous seasons.  Don't take this the wrong way but if you are trying to video tape and shoot at the same time maybe your trying to do to much.

www.buckmasters.com/Community/Forums/tabid/60/forumid/8/postid/10750/view/topic/Default.aspx
warren
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
16 Oct 2007 12:04 AM  
Didnt hit either deer in the spine just that a 10 yard shot u have to hit alittle bit higher on the deer. I think u got pretty lucky your deer was small to hit it in the shoulder like that and still get these broadheads to penitrate. My camera is mounted so i dont have to touch it if the deer is in front of me. The only way i would shoot these broadheads is if i had a 20 yard shot or longer. But personaly i am not takeing the chance ever again. To many stories about these broadheads from friends now. Wish i still had my broadhead just to show everyone how much it got destroyed by hitting the deer. They just dont have the power for me to shoot the way i like to shoot. I dont wanna have to worry That if i do spine a deer all i am only gonna wound the animal. If it cant penitrate threw a yote or a gut shot deer i dont wanna shoot it. Before last year i shot seven deer with my bow that all died withing sight. Last year i had a arrow deflect off a branch and stick a deer and didnt find it. And now this happens this year. So that is why i am switching back.
warren
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
16 Oct 2007 12:09 AM  
Ohh Yeah i was useing 3 blade rages.
AndyC
6 Point
6 Point

--
16 Oct 2007 02:28 AM  
My shot was at about 20 yards. Not sure what it would do on a closer shot or at a bigger deer. I guess I will find out. I will say that the broadhead blades here shot which is usually not the case with my fixed blades.

By the way...how do you mount your camera on the bow? Mind posting a pic of it...I would mind trying that out.
rackmaster4413
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
22 Oct 2007 01:49 AM  
DUDE I FEEL YOUR PAIN. IVE SHOT 2 DOES IN LESS THAN 24 HOURS. NOT ON WAS FOUND. THE FIRST ONE MY ARROW WAS DRENCHED WITH BLOOD I HAD A COUPLE LITTLE DROPS OF BLOOD . THE SECOND ONE I SHOT AND HAD BLOOD EVERY WHERE. MY BUDDY WAS LOOKIN FOR HER AND BERFORE HE KNEW IT SHE WAS 5 YDS AWAY FROM HIM GOT UP ANF RAN AWY LIKE NOTHIN WAS WRONG. AS FAR AS I CONCERNED RAGE SUCKS AND ONCE YOU SHOOT THEM ONCE THERE DONE IF U BLOW THREW AND WHOEVER SWEARS BY THEM IS CRAZY. I WAISTED 80 DOLLARS AND WILL NEVER BY A MECHANICAL AGAIN. I THINK I WILL GO WITH THE CRIMSON TALON. THEM LOOK BAD TO THE BONE
huntininmissouri
6 Point
6 Point

--
22 Oct 2007 05:32 PM  
Tom Sinnott
6 Point
6 Point

--
23 Oct 2007 01:24 AM  
I used the old Spitfire 100gr mechanicals (the ones without the cutting tip) and I haven't had anything that I hit not looking like a crime scene when I walked up on it!!! I am really happy with them and only had one blade bend on me when it bloew through my target and stuck in a stump. Plus for me they have shot IDENTICAL to field points except they seem to maybe be about an inch or so low. I would try another kind before you give up on mechs. I don't think I will switch unless they come out with some dynamite tips!!!
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Benjamin Franklin
AndyC
6 Point
6 Point

--
23 Oct 2007 01:48 AM  
Posted By rackmaster4413 on 10/21/2007 7:49 PM
DUDE I FEEL YOUR PAIN. IVE SHOT 2 DOES IN LESS THAN 24 HOURS. NOT ON WAS FOUND. THE FIRST ONE MY ARROW WAS DRENCHED WITH BLOOD I HAD A COUPLE LITTLE DROPS OF BLOOD . THE SECOND ONE I SHOT AND HAD BLOOD EVERY WHERE. MY BUDDY WAS LOOKIN FOR HER AND BERFORE HE KNEW IT SHE WAS 5 YDS AWAY FROM HIM GOT UP ANF RAN AWY LIKE NOTHIN WAS WRONG. AS FAR AS I CONCERNED RAGE SUCKS AND ONCE YOU SHOOT THEM ONCE THERE DONE IF U BLOW THREW AND WHOEVER SWEARS BY THEM IS CRAZY. I WAISTED 80 DOLLARS AND WILL NEVER BY A MECHANICAL AGAIN. I THINK I WILL GO WITH THE CRIMSON TALON. THEM LOOK BAD TO THE BONE

Where are you hitting these deer?  A well placed arrow with any broadhead will finish a deer in very short order.  If you shoot through muscle (neck, leg, rump) you will see a lot of blood but no deer.  The three blades have been recalled but even so a shot through the lungs would be lethal in short order if the blades fully deployed or not.  The two blades are simply devasting on deer.
rackmaster4413
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
23 Oct 2007 02:01 AM  
im almost positve the first one was a good shot the second one i think i got the liver , but im still gonna pass on the rages. they dont really make a good entry hole. i understand that a well placed arrow will kill any deer but ive talked to a couple of peoplethat have shot rages and they had the same problem as me. ive got the crimson talons and those look like those are the broadheads to have.
Droptine
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
23 Oct 2007 07:07 PM  
You know I bought the three bladed rages this year and I had the same problem on my doe, arrow passed thru but not much blood on ground.Whats this recall y'all talking about?After reading this topic I'm going back to my spit-fires never had any problems with them.I guess all the commerials got me believing the rage broadheads were the next best thing.
Any info on the recall would be good thanks.
huntininmissouri
6 Point
6 Point

--
23 Oct 2007 07:26 PM  
Posted By MikeD on 10/23/2007 1:07 PM
You know I bought the three bladed rages this year and I had the same problem on my doe, arrow passed thru but not much blood on ground.Whats this recall y'all talking about?After reading this topic I'm going back to my spit-fires never had any problems with them.I guess all the commerials got me believing the rage broadheads were the next best thing.
Any info on the recall would be good thanks.

i'll try this link again ,if it doesn't work it's on the bowhunting page about 12 topics down.posted by dobber

http://www.buckmasters.com/Communit...fault.aspx
Droptine
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
23 Oct 2007 07:37 PM  
sorry guys I seen it.Theres actually a topic.Will check mine when I get home.
warren
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
25 Oct 2007 03:13 AM  
I know my shots werent the problem I doubled lunged the second one. and the frist i hit in the same spot the only diff was that the second doe was quartering away. I know the frist deer died but where i hunt its so overgrown with underbrush That without a blood trail the deer could be laying down 20 feet away and not see her. I have hunted for about 10 years or more. I have prob tracked 40 deer. 3 years ago i tracked a deer that my buddy shot threw the butt. It was about 4 hrs of tracking but we found the deer. I know how to track blood. I know how to track by leaves kicked up. I know how to track just by Knowing what the deer is most likely to do. Just if they make it to a certin part of my woods its like looking for a needle in a hay stack. This year is worse cause we havent had a frost yet to kill undergrowth. I am over my frist doe. Switch broadheads and looking forward to rut. I just got worked up because i absolutly hate loseing a deer. I have learned from my mistakes and all i can do is press on.
warren
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
25 Oct 2007 03:18 AM  
Yeah my broadhead i used was part of the recall. But it doesnt help me find the deer i have lost. All i had was one Rage left after my does. And if all they are gonna do is give me more rages then i dont want them. And i mount my camrea on my tree.
ebc187
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
25 Oct 2007 04:02 PM  
One of the most important aspects of bowhunting is having confidence in your equipment. If you don't believe in the rages then get rid of them and go with something else. You don't need any doubt in the back of your head when that 170 class walks out.

I killed 5 deer with the Jackhammer broadhead the last two years (none went more than 50 yards, but none left much of a blood trail), but I switched because they didn't leave an exit hole. I shot a buck with the Montec a few weeks back and didn't get a pass through with those either (I found the deer within 50 yards). I am shooting a 70# Liberty, so I know energy is not the problem, I guess it must be operator error. My buddy shoots Montecs and he has gotten a pass through on both does he shot this year. Some products just suit certain people better, but there are so many products to choose from that you just need to find yours. (if you want proof, just start a new topic and ask people who is the best bow manufacturer)
Droptine
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
25 Oct 2007 06:55 PM  
Checked mine last night and their the good ones.I still do not like them compared to others i've used
mossyoakcowboy
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
29 Oct 2007 08:45 PM  
My rage this weekend couldnt even pass through a bob cat. We did eventually find him but the fact that it couldnt pass through something the size of a house cat kinda worries me a little.
Live life 8 seconds at a time
Muskiefisher
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
30 Oct 2007 04:55 AM  
I shot my buck last night with the 3 blade rage broadheads. Good blood but couldnt find the deer. I think I hit him low but I am certain that I nicked the lung which I know he can go for a while on a shot like that. I cant blame the broadheads they opened it was just a bad shot. I hope I find the beast.
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 3123 > >>

Active Forums 4.2
Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! Join Buckmasters Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!