From the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission
-- Russell Korinek of Wilber-Clatonia won the individual title in the junior high competition at the 40th Cornhusker Trapshoot April 30 at the Nebraska Trapshooting Association grounds.
The Fillmore 1 team of Colin Monteforte, Andrew Schropfer, Dillon Steinacher, Dylan Colgrove, and Austin Tatro took first in the team competition.
More than 1,800 junior and senior high school trapshooters are competing. Shooters from across Nebraska and neighboring states registered for the Cornhusker, which is the largest trapshoot event of its kind in the world, according to Rocky Hoffmann of the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission, the Cornhusker Trapshoot director.
“Trapshooting has a very strong following across Nebraska and most of the United States,” Hoffmann said. “The first Cornhusker, which began in 1970 with only two squads, has grown to nearly 375 squads this year. Thanks to generous contributors, coaches, and the young trapshooters and their families, the Cornhusker Trapshoot is a great event.”
According to Hoffmann, sport shooting is one of the safest sports available to youngsters and is a sport in which every student can participate regardless of the individual's size or sex. All Cornhusker entrants must have successfully completed the Nebraska Hunter Education Course.
“It is extremely gratifying to observe first-hand the responsibility that these students demonstrate in the use of firearms and the genuine sportsmanship displayed during the three days of trapshooting,” Hoffmann said.
The 2009 Cornhusker's junior high program consists of 100, 16-yard targets shot on Thursday, with more than 600 junior high trapshooters participating. The high school competition features 100, 16-yard targets on Friday and 100 handicap targets on Saturday. At the completion of Saturday's events, the high overall score wins the Cornhusker Cup.
Following are the results of Thursday's Junior High competition:
Individual Top 10
1. Russell Korinek, 97X100, Wilber-Clatonia
2. Cody Newlun, 96X100, Hastings 4-H
3. Dillon Steinacher, 95X100, Fillmore
4. (tie) Blake Brumbaugh, 94X100, Republican Valley 4-H
Austin Svoboda, 94X100, Karp and Krow
Josh Borzekofski, 94X100, Blessed Sacrament
Andrew Schropfer, 94X100, Fillmore
8. (tie) Harry Harner, 93X100, Ogallala
Brett Jones, 93X100, Papillion
10. Keenam Kremke, 92X100, Karp and Krow
Top 3 Girls
1. Angel Rojas, 90X100, West Nebraska 4-H
2. Cory Sorahan, 88X100, Grand Island
3. (tie) Morgan Mavis, 85X100, Scottsbluff
Bailey Kustka, 84X100, Cornerstone
Top 3 4-H Teams
1. Republican Valley 4-H (Austin Johnson, Shane Kohmetsher, Brady May, Garrett Sharp, Blake Brumbaugh), 439X500
2. Wilber Clatonia, 424X500
3. Oak Creek 4-H, 400X500
Top 2 Girls Teams
1. Papillion 4 (Emily Medcalf, Alyssa Gibbs, Tori Harrel, Natalie Hebard, Katie Griger), 309X500
2. LaVista Jr. 2, 253X500
Top 3 Teams
1. Fillmore 1 (Colin Monteforte, Andrew Schropfer, Dillon Steinacher, Dylan Colgrove, Austin Tatro), 439X500
2. Scottsbluff 1, 433X500
3. Papillion 1, 424X500