Register  | Login
  Search
TOP STORIES
Feature

Current Articles | Search | Syndication


2010 deer regulations in Indiana summarized

From the Indiana Department of Natural Resources

-- Youth Season Sept. 25-26


Indiana's special youth deer hunting season will be Sept. 25 and 26 this year.  Last year's youth weekend harvest was a record 1,687 deer that, according to deer biologist Chad Stewart, probably coincided with increasing the age restriction from under 16 to under 18, which happened for the first time last year.

In 2009, does comprise 85 percent of the youth season harvest, with the remaining 15 percent button bucks. The first youth season was 2006. The seasons have been exclusively for antlerless only until this year.  The Indiana youth season typically accounts for about 1 percent of the season's total harvest.

Regulations include:


        * Youth under age 18 on the date of hunt can participate.
        * Youth hunters can take either a buck or a doe; if a buck is taken, it is the only buck the youth hunter can take that year, except in an urban deer zone; a doe is in addition to all other antlerless deer that can be taken in the regular seasons.
        * Resident youth will need a hunting license (apprentice or regular), such as the resident youth comprehensive hunting & trapping license or a comprehensive lifetime hunting license.
        * Non-resident youth will need a non-resident youth deer hunting license-firearm, archery, muzzleloader, or bonus antlerless.
        * An adult that is at least 18 years of age must accompany the youth hunter during this special season, be licensed to hunt (unless hunting on his/her own farmland), stay in close proximity to the youth while in the field, and not possess a bow and arrow, crossbow, or firearm, and not accompany more than 2 youth at a time in the field.
        * Youth hunters must use legal equipment-archery, crossbow, shotgun, rifle or muzzleloader.
        * Youth must follow all other deer hunting regulations.

Archery season runs Oct. 1 through Nov. 28


Changes allow archery equipment and firearms to be loaded, or capable of being fired, before and after lawful shooting hours.
 
- Changes allow legal archery equipment and a firearm to be possessed during the firearms season, as long as the person possesses both an archery and a firearms license.

- Changes also allow legal archery equipment and a muzzleloader to be possessed during the muzzleloader season, as long as the person possesses both an archery and a muzzleloader license.

- Crossbows can be used only in the late archery season Dec. 4 to Jan. 2, 2011, unless the hunter has a special disability permit.

Urban deer zones


- Changes allow archery, extra archery or bonus antlerless licenses to be used to hunt deer in an urban deer zone.
 
- The city of Warsaw is now an urban deer zone in Kosciusko County.

- A hunter can take 4 antlerless deer (1 per license) or 3 antlerless deer and 1 antlered deer (1 per license) in an urban deer zone; these limits are in addition to the bonus county quotas and other season bag limits.
 
For more information, visit  www.hunting.in.gov or call the deer hotline (812)334-3795 or the DNR Customer Service Center at (317)232-4200.

Comments
Retweet
Pay Your Bill Online Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! LinkedIn Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!