From the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks
-- Printed copies of the 2009 Kansas Hunting & Fur harvesting Regulations Summary will be available at Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks offices and license vendors around the state soon, but hunters can view or download the publication now at the KDWP website, www.kdwp.state.ks.us.
Type "Hunting Regulations" in the search box at the department's homepage or click on "Hunting," then "Hunting Regulations."
New regulations are one of the highlights of this annual booklet. Regulation changes include the following, listed under "New For 2009."
Big Game Animals
* The Special Extended Firearms Deer season - Jan. 4-17 - has been expanded to include all of Deer Management units 7, 8, and 15.
* Deer Management units 4 and 5 have been added to the Extended Whitetail Antlerless Only season, Jan. 1-10.
* Unsuccessful elk permit applicants will receive a bonus point. Bonus points may be purchased in lieu of application.
2010 Nonresident Deer Applications
* In 2010, the nonresident deer application period will begin a month earlier and end on April 30.
The most significant change in the booklet's format this year involves the way big game information is presented. All big game - antelope, deer, and elk - are combined into a single section, with general big game regulations grouped together. Specific regulations for each big game species are then separated into sections within the big game section.
* Quail and pheasant season both open the second Saturday in November, Nov. 14 this year, and both run through Jan. 31, 2010.
* The possession period for furbearers has been eliminated.
* The requirement that furbearers be skinned within 48 hours of the end of the season has been eliminated.
Migratory Game Birds
* Native dove season days have been expanded from 60 days to 70 days - Sept. 1-Oct. 31 and Nov. 7-15.
As always, most season dates have changed, and other regulations are covered in the booklet. Check it out at www.kdwp.state.ks.us.